Sorry, candy-packed vending machine, but you’ve got nothing on Medjool dates. Aside from being one of the best sources of natural sweetness on the planet, you’re also getting a nice dose of potassium, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, and other nutrients every time you eat one. Even when you just so happen to turn said date into a Snickers.
Ellie Bullen, the nutritionist behind Elsa’s Wholesome Life, recently shared one of her favorite desserts: a nutritious vegan Snickers that only requires five simple ingredients to make. Aka far cry from what you’ll find within that candy wrapper. “You can store them in the fridge for a perfect bite-sized treat whenever you’re feeling like something sweet,” she writes on Instagram.
While a regular Snickers bar contains 27 grams of sugar, 4.5 grams of saturated fat, and around 5 grams of cholesterol from ingredients like sugar, corn syrup, palm oil, egg whites, and milk, DIYing a healthier version at home will satisfy your sweet tooth without messing with your well-being. Here’s exactly how to make Bullen’s melt-in-your-mouth recipe.
5-Ingredient Snickers Bites
sea salt flakes
1. Remove the pits from your Medjool dates and fill them with peanut butter.
2. Fill each date with roasted peanuts.
3. Cover each date with melted dark chocolate using a spoon. Set aside to harden.
4. Once the chocolate has hardened, drizzle peanut butter over each date with a spoon.
5. Finish your Snickers bites by sprinkling on some sea salt flakes.
View this post on Instagram