Are there vegan donut options at Dunkin’ Donuts? Not yet. But am I still going to celebrate National Donut Day today? You bet. Even though it’s hard to find plant-based donut options, nothing can stop me from making my own at home—especially when they’re equally healthy and energizing.
Evolved Chocolate—the makers of vegan, paleo, and keto chocolate—shared a delicious donut recipe on Instagram that doesn’t just melt in your mouth. It also gives you some much-needed fuel to push through your day. And the secret ingredient responsible for all that energy? Coffee, which compliments the chocolate flavor, keeps the donuts moist, and gives you the perfect buzz.
All you need to do to make these double-chocolate donuts is mix up a handful of simple ingredients and bake them in the oven using a donut pan, like this one from Amazon. After 10 to 15 minutes, you’ll be celebrating the beloved food holiday like a champ.
Vegan Double-Chocolate Donuts
1½ cups cassava flour
1½ cups maple sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
¾ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup cold coffee
1 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the cassava flour, maple sugar, salt, baking soda, and the cocoa powder.
3. Add the melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, cold coffee, and water until it is well combined and a batter forms.
4. Scoop into donut pans and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until donuts are completely baked through.
5. Let the donuts cool completely and enjoy.